Sr Staff Data Scientist
Company: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Location: South San Francisco
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving
science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is
to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and
safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences
research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient
diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their
laboratories, we are here to support them.
How will you make an impact?
You will be a part of the fast-growing field of Clinical
Diagnostics developing algorithms for molecular diagnostics based
on real-time PCR technologies. Your interaction and collaboration
with a talented team of assay, reagents, software, hardware
designers and manufacturing will revolutionize healthcare through
high throughput diagnostic systems. Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
has played a pivotal role in the COVID-19 pandemic with the TaqPath
COVID-19 Combo Kit for testing SARS-CoV-2. We continue to innovate
and provide new solutions for the pandemic and we need your talent
to help save lives.
What will you do?
- Collaborate with key stake holders to understand top business
and scientific questions and transform complex problems to
- Leverage your intellectual curiosity, a broad array of
statistical and machine learning techniques to lead data
initiatives (e.g. algorithms, models, tools, dashboards) to assess
the performance of our clinical assays and enable development of
high accuracy clinical calling algorithms.
- Deliver key findings and recommendations to internal and
external stakeholders with diverse backgrounds.
- Mentor junior team members to provide technical advice.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with a wide variety of people
and teams such as algorithm developers, experimental scientists,
and software engineers.
- Stay on top of state-of-the-art algorithms and methods and
advocate best practices.
How will you get here?
Bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry,
Applied Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computational
Biology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related
discipline; postgraduate degree (Master's, PhD) is highly
- 10+ years of experience as data scientist or similar role 5+
years of product development experience (biotechnology industry
preferred) Demonstrated proficiency in statistical data analysis,
machine learning and predictive modeling
- Strong knowledge of data structures and common methods in data
- Proficient in one or more programming languages like C++, Java
- Experience utilizing Matlab, JMP, R, or SPSS
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Understanding of clinical trial design and evaluation
- Knowledge in Molecular Biology and Clinical Diagnostics
- Strong understanding of qPCR and amplification curve data
- Prior experience with US-FDA 510k product
development/submission, 21 CFR Part 11, and ISO 13485 is highly
- Ability to present and communicate data analysis results to
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Demonstrated ability to mentor team members and lead projects from
design to completion
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an
unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing
convenience and pharmaceutical services through our
industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied
Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and
Patheon. For more information, please visit
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Keywords: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., South San Francisco , Sr Staff Data Scientist, Other , South San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!