Process Development Research Associate/Engineer - Cell Therapy
Company: Nkarta, Inc.
Location: South San Francisco
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Process Development Research Associate/Engineer - Cell
Nkarta is a publicly traded (Nasdaq symbol NKTX), South San
Francisco headquartered, early-stage biopharmaceutical company
focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of
allogeneic, off-the-shelf engineered natural killer, or NK, cell
therapies to treat cancer.
Founded in 2015 at the birthplace of biotechnology, our
development pipeline of engineered NK cell therapy candidates
includes two co-lead clinical programs, NKX101 and NKX019. Clinical
trials for 101 are in process; 019 will begin in H2 2021. Nkarta
recently announced a collaboration with CRISPR Therapeutics, a
world leader in gene-based medicines, for the development and
commercialization of up to three new cell therapy candidates and
access to clinically validated CRISPR/Cas9 genome engineering.
Complementing our broad research and development capabilities,
Nkarta has also built an extensive cell therapy manufacturing
operation. We have a 2,700-square foot clinical good manufacturing
practice, or cGMP, facility on-site at our primary corporate
location in South San Francisco, California. We plan to start
in-house manufacturing of NKX019 in 2021 and NKX101 in 2022. We are
also currently designing a separate, larger cGMP facility, to
supply our anticipated pivotal clinical trial and commercial
Position Title Process Development Research
Location South San Francisco
Reports to Senior Process Engineer
The role adds to the build out and further development of our
growing process development team with the advancement of the
production and analytics capability for Nkarta's NK products.
- Development of cell therapy production processes using
- Optimizes processes and procedures to collaboratively create
manufacturing efficiency, process robustness and reduced
- Identifies and supports the development of critical
product-specific analytical methods for the characterization and
release of cell therapy products.
- Demonstrates a high level of initiative in troubleshooting
experiments and accurate data analysis.
- Participates in cross-functional collaborations to meet project
timelines and material supply requirements.
- Evaluates and implements novel process technologies with an
emphasis on closed-system processing and automated unit
- Prepares technical reports and supports investigational new
drug (IND) chemistry-manufacturing-control (CMC) section
- Provides guidance to management through presentation of
hypotheses, progress, and plans to project teams and governance
- Publishes or presents scientific findings in peer-reviewed
journals, at conferences, and contributes to corporate
- Designs and executes experiments independently or in teams;
accurately records, analyzes, and communicates data to senior staff
and team members.
- Presents results in team meetings and delivers presentations to
both small and large groups.
o Suspension based-bioreactor for the culture of mammalian-cell
o Flow cytometry
o GMP manufacturing of cell therapy or biological products
- Ideal to possess experience in:
o Development or production of cell therapies
o Viral transduction principles and processes
- Thorough understanding of Design of Experiments (DOE) and
Quality by Design (QBD).
- Highly organized, detail-oriented individual with strong
- Excellent verbal and writing skills for documentation of data,
drafting of technical reports, and communication of progress to
supervisor and project teams.
- Must be able to communicate and multi-task within a fast-paced,
highly collaborative team environment with a high degree of
self-motivation and organization.
- Embodies the company culture of empowerment, diversity, and
Education / Background
- BA/BS in biology-related discipline and 2-6+ years of
laboratory experience, MS in biology-related discipline with 2-4+
years related process development experience, with preference for
candidates with cell therapy industry experience. The ideal
candidate will have at least 2-4 years of biopharmaceutical
industry experience in a development setting.
- This position requires the ability to occasionally lift and/or
move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities for this job
include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust
focus. The common requirements of an office environment (computers,
computer screens, workstations, etc.) apply when not working in or
around the laboratory environment. Car and airplane travel might be
requirement of this role. Ability and willingness to travel up to
The 100+ team members describe working at Nkarta through some of
the following comments. While getting better work-life balance and
improving communications between groups in an early stage start up
environment are two areas in which we're working, here are real
anonymous comments of why people think Nkarta is a great place to
- People are always open to ideas. This company provides a safe
place for its employees (covid testing, etc.)
- Exceptionally talented, committed, kind & supportive
- The CEO is transparent and honest with expectations for the
whole company. There is genuine care amongst the leadership team
for their peers and employees. I believe this is unique.
- Not to sound corny, but the emphasis on people as a valuable
resource is something I recognize doesn't often exist elsewhere,
and it's here in ample supply, which is great.
- It's the first place that I've worked where the executive team
truly values the employees. It's a pretty amazing thing not to hear
that employees can be replaced with someone new. Institutional
knowledge is understood.
- We have a very diverse team with executives that are friendly
- Smart and dedicated colleagues. Mission to make a difference in
patients lives. Empower us with tools needed to succeed. Open and
transparent culture. Transparent leadership. Handling of covid and
running the company was done very well.
To learn more about our work at Nkarta and the career
opportunities that will drive us forward to serve patients, please
visit the company's website at https://www.nkartatx.com
Keywords: Nkarta, Inc., South San Francisco , Process Development Research Associate/Engineer - Cell Therapy, Other , South San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!